Sunday, June 30, 2024

Typography - Task3:Type Design and Communication

 June 30,2024

30.6.2024 -7.7.2024(week9-week14)


QIULIHUA/0365036


Typography/Bachelor of Design (Honours)in Creative Media

Task 3: Type Design and Communication


LIST

LECTURE

INSTRUCTIONS

FEEDBACK

REFLECTION

FURTHER READING


LECTURE

Refer to Task 1 and Task 2.


 INSTRUCTIONS


<iframe src="https://drive.google.com/file/d/1b2tsXJt-ZjTUfCxO-DtAX39gk732g2G0/preview" width="640" height="480" allow="autoplay"></iframe>

Task3

1. Sketches
Fig 1.0 Type Design Sketch 

2. Digitalization 

Mr Max chose my #2 typeface design and then I started my digitised.


Fig 1.1Type Design Digitalization



3.DECONSTRUCTION :


Fig 1.2 Deconstruction of lowercase m


4.Creating guidelines
I first created the guidelines based on a 500 pt x 500 pt box to determine the x-height of Univers LT Std Roman.


Fig 1.3 create 500pt ×500pt




I finished digitisation.(o ; l ; d ; e ; s ; n ; c ; h ; t ; i ; g ; # ; , ; . ; ; !) 
Fig 1.4(o ; l ; d ; e ; s ; n ; c ; h ; t ; i ; g ; # ; , ; . ; ; !) 

I then asked Mr max for feedback and he told me to check each letter and adjust all their thicknesses, they should all be the same. And tell me that the "i" typeface I'm designing doesn't need a tail.Therefore, I'm revising my digitisation again.


Fig 1.5

Then I used baseline, caps height descender to align.



Fig 1.6 used baseline, caps height descender to align

Measured values (from baseline)
Riser/lid height: 721 pt
X Height:500 pt
Baseline: 0 pt
Descender: -175 pt


5.Enter the FONTS LAB:

Downloaded Fontlab 7 and transferred my font design in ai to this software


Fig1.7final result
6. Poster Design  
We have to create posters with fonts of our own design!
creating BW A4 poster; ensure sentence/phrase/words are the same font size; ensure the byline <yourfont's_name><by_your_name>,<2023.> is Univers LT Std. at 8pts. (See sample).

Fig 1.8 Final poster

Fig 1.9 Final poster PDF





Fig2.0 Final font in ai(JPEG)







Fig 1.8 Final font (PDF)


8. Font Tester
Try typing the characters: c o n d h l i g e s t , .!! #


















FEEDBACK
Week 9
General feedback: this week we have learnt more about typography and have started sketching fonts based on Mr Max's demonstration.
Specific feedback: the second sketch is neatly formatted for digitisation.

Week 10
General feedback: We learned how to generate fonts in Adobe Illustrator and used the Graphics Builder tool to begin digitising our sketches.

Week 11
General feedback: we learnt how to import fonts designed in ai into the new software Fontlab7.
Specific feedback: make the vertical lines of the ‘#! ’to be the same thickness as the vertical lines

WEEK 12:
General feedback: adjusting the side bearings according to the table provided . 
Specific feedback: Mr MAX asked me to change the thickness of the "#" to the same. No problem with the side bearings.
 
Week 13
Specific feedback: task 3 is completed
General feedback: Completion of e-portfolio update


REFLECTION

Experience:
The first attempt at designing a personal typeface was challenging. Throughout the project, I neglected to make each font the same thickness, which resulted in an inconsistent font. By repeatedly adjusting the grid and modifying the fonts, I learnt to value the consistency of the size, width and height of each letter, which was a lengthy process, but it gave me a deeper understanding of the artistic and technical skills required to produce each typeface.

Observations:
While completing this task, I observed that different designs of fonts have different unique designs. I also tried fontlab, a new software, which was a bit challenging but in the end I learnt a lot of useful knowledge.

Findings:
Although the process was a bit difficult, I enjoyed the task because it taught me more about fonts and typography.


FURTHER READING

Reading this book, I learnt that the history of type has been through many exciting times. 
For example, the invention of movable type revolutionised our world, spreading and sharing knowledge, increasing literacy rates around the world, and allowing civilisations to progress and prosper. 
The spread and sharing of knowledge increased the world's literacy rate and allowed civilisations to advance and prosper. Today, we are in the midst of an unprecedented boom and productivity. Technological developments, primarily the spread of computers, advanced software and Internet connectivity.




Fig 1.9 typography referenced


No comments:

Post a Comment