QIULIHUA/0365036
Design Research Dissertation / Bachelor of Design (Honours)in Creative Media
Advanced Animation
INTRODUCTION
PROJECT 2: CARTOON JUMP ANIMATION
My task is to create a smooth and realistic jump animation using the provided character model.
|
|
| Fig 1.0 process |
First, I imported the reference sheet for the jump animation provided by the teacher as a reference for animation production. By observing each key pose and movement change, I analyzed the character's body posture, center of gravity changes, and movement rhythm during the jump, airborne, and landing phases, laying the foundation for subsequent blocking production.
|
|
| Fig 1.1 reference |
I used blocking to establish the key poses for the jump, including anticipation, take-off, airborne, landing, and recovery, first confirming the overall timing, character position, and center of gravity.
Next, I adjusted the character's Root Control and Pelvis (hip) controllers to generate natural upward momentum during take-off. By bending the knees as the preparatory movement, straightening the legs during take-off, and bending the knees again upon landing to absorb impact, I made the entire jump more realistically aligned with human movement.
|
|
| Fig 1.3 process |
|
|
| Fig 1.4 graphic adjustment |
I further optimized the character's detailed movements, including arm swings, head following, weight transfer, and recovery movements after landing, making the movements between different parts more coordinated. After multiple previews and adjustments, the rhythm of the entire jump animation is smoother, and the character's weight and movement are more natural and realistic.
Based on the teacher's feedback, I further optimized the Graph Editor curves for the Jump animation. I adjusted the Z Location keyframe curve to a diagonal line, making the character's vertical jump and landing speed changes more natural and enhancing the smoothness of the movement. Simultaneously, I deleted and readjusted the Y Location keyframe curves, except for the transition phase, to create a smooth curve, retaining only the motion changes during the transition phase. This adjustment makes the character more stable when moving forward and backward, avoiding unnecessary speed fluctuations and making the overall jump animation more consistent with realistic human motion.
|
|
| Fig 1.5 graphic adjustment |
|
|
| Fig 1.6 graphic adjustment |
WEEK 12:
General Feedback:I need to change
Specific Feedback:
- Based on the teacher's suggestions, the Z-Location animation curve was adjusted, changing the keyframe tangents to linear lines to make the character's up-and-down movement during jumps more natural and avoid abrupt speed changes.
- The Y-Location animation curve was modified; except for the transition phase between takeoff and landing, unnecessary tangent controls were removed from other keyframes, and a Bezier curve was used to make the character's forward and backward movement smoother and improve the overall continuity of the animation.
- The keyframe curves in the Graph Editor were optimized to improve the rhythm and trajectory of the character's jump, making the takeoff, flight, and landing more consistent with realistic motion.
REFLECTION

Comments
Post a Comment